Engineering & Construction

Kern Delta Water District engineering staff are responsible for providing engineering support for District operations and maintenance projects. Engineering staff are also responsible for administering the District’s permitting process. District permits include general encroachment permits (gas, electric, fiber, etc.), construction and agricultural water permits, and permitting related to the more complex process of re-routing and/or pipelining District facilities. Additional information regarding District permits is provided below. To inquire further please contact Daniel Deleon – District Staff Engineer at (661) 834-4656 or by email at Daniel

General Encroachment Permit

  • Required when working within District rights-of-way.
  • Applies to any modification of District facilities including, but not limited to, installation of utilities (gas, electric, etc.) or re-routing and or pipelining a District canal.
  • Permit fee is $500 and is due upon acceptance by District.

Re-routing and or Pipelining a District Canal

  • Projects that include re-routing and/or pipelining a District canal must pay a $5,000 Engineering and Legal Review (ELR) fee. Depending on the nature and complexity of the project, additional fees and requirements may apply. The ELR fee is required at the time the District is provided with project plans. Please note: the District will not review project plans until the ELR fee is paid in full.

General Provisions

Encroachment Permit Application

Construction Water Permit

  • Construction Water is subject to availability.
  • Water is a non-potable agricultural supply.
  • Construction Water Permit fee is a one-time payment of $1,000 plus an additional $100 per day.
  • Fees are due upfront prior to any pumping from canal.
  • Contractor must demonstrate ability to track how much water is utilized (truck count or meter).
  • Contractor will be required to fill out an application.

Agricultural Water Permit

  • Must be landowner within the District.
  • Must have all assessments paid prior to applying for an Agricultural Water Permit.
  • Agricultural Water Permit fee is $350.

Construction Water Pumping Permit

To inquire further please contact Daniel Deleon – District Staff Engineer at (661) 834-4656 or by email at Daniel